Veterans Treatment Courts: A Second Chance for Veterans Who Have Lost Their Way
National Institute of Corrections highlights Veterans Treatment Courts with major broadcast.
“Veterans Treatment Courts: A Second Chance for Veterans Who Have Lost Their Way” is an internet broadcast that highlights the ins-and-outs of Veterans Treatment Courts. The program features experts in the Veterans Treatment Court field, including Judge Robert Russell, founder of the first Veterans Treatment Court; Nick Stefanovic, Veterans Treatment Court Graduate; Sean Clarke, Director of the U.S. Dept. of Veterans Affairs Veterans Justice Outreach Program; and Melissa Fitzgerald, Senior Director of Justice For Vets, among others. With its thorough overview of these life-saving programs, from their inception in 2008, to implementation today, the broadcast is an excellent resource for jurisdictions interested in starting a Veterans Treatment Court, as well as established jurisdictions looking to improve their program.
This NIC broadcast is critical for anyone who works with justice-involved veterans and covers the following objectives:
- Introduce Veterans Treatment Courts as an effective intervention and an alternative to incarceration for justice-involved veterans;
- Identify the unique issues which contribute to veterans’ involvement in the criminal justice system at the local, state and federal levels;
- Highlight the inception of Veterans Treatment Courts and the role they play in improving public safety, reducing recidivism, saving taxpayer dollars and, most importantly, restoring the lives of those who have served our country;
- Showcase model Veterans Treatment Court Programs, including Veterans Peer Mentor Programs;
- Demonstrate how to implement and sustain an effective VTC, including the vital role of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and Veteran Peer Mentors; and
- Provide resources and next steps for jurisdictions interested in implementing a Veterans Treatment Court or looking to improve an existing program.
Panelists/Subject Matter Experts:
Melissa Fitzgerald, Senior Director
Justice For Vets
Hon. Robert Russell (NADCP Board Member Emeritus)
Buffalo Treatment Courts, NY State Office of Court Administration
Gregory Crawford, Project Manager
National Institute of Corrections
Heather French Henry, Commissioner
Kentucky Dept. of Veterans Affairs
Thomas J. Berger, Ph.D., Executive Director
Veterans Health Council
Vietnam Veterans of America
Bernard Edelman, Deputy Director for Policy and Government Affairs
Vietnam Veterans of America
Nicholas Stefanovic, Judicial Assessment Specialist
Rochester Treatment Court, NY
Hon. John Schwartz, Ret.
Rochester City Court, NY
Elizabeth Burek, Coordinator
Rochester Veterans Court, NY
Sean Clark, J.D., National Coordinator
Veterans Justice Outreach, U.S. Dept. of Veterans Affairs