This November, our country will once again pause to honor the men and women who served in the United States Armed Forces. Veterans Day—Saturday, November 11, 2017—is our annual opportunity to thank our veterans for their service and acknowledge their sacrifices on our behalf. Remember, Veterans Day honors our living veterans for the sacrifice they have made for our country. It is a day to celebrate those who stood the line to protect all of us. Currently, only 2 million active duty, reserve and guard service members, protect over 330 million of us every day. With 21.6 million Veterans in our country, Veterans Day is your opportunity to find a way to say ‘thank you’.
The holiday season is the ideal time for veterans treatment courts to engage their community. This Veterans Day: Preparation, Events, & Media toolkit contains a wealth of resources to help you plan and execute events as well as educate your elected officials and the media. For veterans like myself, Veterans Day can bring up mixed emotions, and for some it can usher in a difficult holiday season. For these reasons, we have also included tips on ensuring your staff, participants, and mentors have the support they need.
In this kit, you’ll find:
- Creative event ideas to honor your local veterans
- Ways to educate your community about and foster support for your court
- Instructions on how to contact your local and regional media outlets
- A sample press release and newspaper opinion editorial
- A sample invitation for Members of Congress
- Guidance on how social media can help spread your message, enhance your events, and foster community support for your court
- Guidance on how to prepare and support your veteran participants through what may be a difficult month and holiday
Thank you for your service to this country and your commitment to ensuring that all veterans are shown the honor and dignity they have earned.
Scott Swaim, USAFV, MA, LMHC
Justice For Vets